Currently working on a group project (avec Jenny, Mark, Holly & Tom) to produce a limited run publication called ‘Manual for Useful Art’ for an organisation called The Autonomy School. The content of the publication is being written and produced by the MA Fine Arts students at uni who are attending a week of workshops and talks on Useful Art. Our job is to design, create and produce a publication which will then be given out the following weekend in conjunction with events in the Liverpool Biennial.
On Friday we began working on ideas for layout and typefaces. The photographs above document our progress with that. We’re yet to reach a solid conclusion on how the layout is going to look but have compiled a basic grid for us to experiment with and discuss tomorrow.
Decisions so far:
+ We’ve decided on an elastic band bind for the moment, cheap & lo-fi fitting in with the DIY aesthetic that’s being desired.
+ Stock is going to be a basic copy paper weight (to withstand the rubber band - tried newsprint but it’s too weak) - hopefully coloured
+ Front cover is going to unfold into an A3 poster possessing something fabulous.
+ In terms of body text we’ve gone for the delightful DIN family which possesses a wide range of weights and styles for us to play with. (Heading type is yet to be concluded - there’s talk of hand drawn stuff to merge the DIY elements with the more academic content).
The week commencing tomorrow will be when the Useful Art talks & workshops take place and when we put the publication together. Then printing and putting together at the weekend - it’s going to be hectic.